Keeping your furry family members safe during the holidays can be a difficult task. There are the breakable ornaments, potentially dangerous plants, presents with bows and ribbons, lights that can be chewed—and who could forget the Christmas tree? Here are a few simple pet safety steps that will allow your furry family members to join in the holiday fun this year.
Holiday Safety Tips:
1. For those buying live Christmas trees this year, keep the area around the tree free and clear of pine needles. While they may not seem dangerous, the needles cause stomach upset and can irritate or puncture your pet’s intestines if ingested.
2. Don’t put lights on the tree’s lower branches. Not only can your pet get tangled up in the lights, but they may inadvertently get shocked by biting through the wire.
3. Ornaments need to be kept out of reach, too. In addition to being a choking and intestinal blockage hazard, shards from broken ornaments may injure paws, mouths or other parts of your pet’s body.
4. Did you know that holly and mistletoe are poisonous to dogs and cats? If you normally use these plants to decorate your home, they should be kept in an area your pet cannot reach. Poinsettias are also not a great idea, as they can cause nausea and vomiting if ingested.
5. Burning candles should be placed on high shelves or mantels, out of your pet’s way—there’s no telling where a wagging tail or curious cat may end up.
Have a safe and happy holiday season.